What We've Been Using for History
We ended up doing Adventures in America from Elemental History this year along with reading books that we have on our bookshelf. We didn't follow it exactly and didn't read all of our books. So what did we do you are asking... well we did read the information from AIA, we did do some of the crafts, we did some of the coloring pages, and we did read some of the extra books I had on the bookshelves.
I have found that curriculum that I can pick and choose from works best for our homeschool for right now with the dynamics of our family. I like to be able to just do the next thing but not feel guilty if we don't do exactly what they say the next thing is. Wow, writing that last sentence shows just what kind of crazy thinking I am having...are you laughing yet because I am!
- Follow Heart of Dakota's Bigger Hearts for His Glory.
- Compile a booklist of picture books for an overview of world history.
- Use My Father's World Adventures in America (now Adventures in US History).
- Purchase Vertias Press History cards - and then what?
- Purchase a Middle Ages Discovery Kit from Hands and Hearts - and then what?
- If we study something other then American History are the kids going to retain the information?
- If we do our own thing will we want to jump into a packaged curriculum sometime in the future? Will this mess things up?
- Why do all these companies have such a large history focus??? Do we need or want to focus on history to the extent that they do?
What We Want
Someone suggested decide what you want your history cycle or progression to look like and then find something each year to match that. Ok, I think it is time I really nail down what we want for our family. Who am I kidding I can't nail down anything! My crazy brain decides on something different every half hour. Could it be the five blessings
screaming um playing obnoxiously I mean making beautiful noises around me doesn't allow me to think things through??
So what do you think????
What are you using for history this year? Next year?