I have done different things for meal planning in the past. If you search the internet you can find tons of great ways to meal plan. My suggestion is to first figure out what works for you and your family.
3 Questions to Decide How To Meal Plan
- Do you like structure or flexibility?
- Do you like to shop daily, weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly?
- Do you want or need to budget weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly?
My answers to the above questions:
- Structure... er wait flexibility, we are a family of seven!
- Monthly with a weekly or bi-weekly fill in.
- Monthly but I need to keep track weekly or there ends up being a whole lot more month than budget!
Go ahead and take time to answer those questions for yourself, I'll wait...
Based on your answers you can now make a meal plan that will fit your family.
How I Currently Meal Plan
Taking into account my answers to the above questions I am using a monthly list of meals for my meal planning. I write down all of the meals that I plan to feed my family for the month on a white board by my kitchen. I would have to say this gives me the perfect balance at the moment of flexibility vs structure.
I have a whole month of meals and groceries purchased, but I can work with my natural inclination to boycott my plan. If I don't feel like having something on a certain day or don't want to take the time to cook the more time consuming meal I don't have to! I am still able to choose something from my meal list that will still feed this large family of seven.
I will be sharing my December meal plan as well as the steps I took to come up with the plan.
Please share...what is working for your family right now for meal planning?